As part of the original Nash layout, Chester Road, one of the main gateways to the park, was planted with cherry trees in the 1930s. At the same time as Queen Mary’s Rose Gardens were established – both of these projects were made possible thanks to a donation from local resident and acclaimed artist Sigismund Goetze (1866-1939). The last cherry trees (Prunus ‘Kanzan’) were planted in 1978 and having reached the end of their natural lifespan, they were removed in February 2015.
Thanks to generous donations from the local community, 100 new cherry trees of the variety Prunus ‘Sunset Boulevard’, were planted in November 2015. Spring now heralds the arrival of their flowers in the Regent’s Park. HRH The Prince of Wales lent his support to the campaign to restore the Cherry Tree Avenue.
There is a plaque on the fence next to the Broadwalk/Chester Road junction listing the kind donors who brought back the cherry blossom in 2015.