The Japanese Eagle

This statue, in the middle of the lake in Queen Mary’s Gardens, was given to the Park in 1974 by Felix Greene in memory of his father, Edward Greene, who had been a very successful coffee merchant, spending 20 years in Brazil before returning to London 1910, and later becoming chairman of the Brazilian Warrant Company. The eagle had been in the garden of Edward Greene’s lovely farmhouse at Little Wittenham, near Oxford, during the 1930s. It was recently restored to its former glory.


back to Statues