The Holme was built originally in 1818 by James Burton, the building contractor most associated with Nash. It was designed by James’ son Decimus, and lived in by the Burton family. It was then used for a period by Bedford College and is now a private residence. The extensive lakeside gardens were designed by Sir Geoffrey Jellicoe.
The gardens can occasionally be visited through the National Gardens Scheme.