This and The Lost Bow bronze statue, also by Hodge, were both donated to the park by the artist Sigismund Goetze, having been originally commissioned for his home, Grove House. Hodge was born in Port Ellen in Scotland, the son of a taxman. He studied at the Glasgow School of Art. In 1901 he moved to London. Other work by him can be seen in the City of London with his sculpture of Father Time on the old Port of London Authority Building on the edge of Trinity Square Gardens (now a Four Seasons Hotel) and the figures of Wedgwood and Chippendale on the façade of the Victoria and Albert Museum.